Monday, May 26, 2014

A New Binding

I just tried a new book binding technique called the crossed structure binding.  I saw a video of an artist using this technique and she said she learned it from a book that I actually own!  What a pleasant surprise.  So I got the book, found the page, and made my first crossed structure binding book.
 
I used the cover of the watercolor
paper pad as the cover of my journal.

I cut the cover to the height of the paper
and 3 times the width of the signature, then
I cut the "teeth" out of the middle third.

The signatures are sewn to the 2 "teeth"
on the back cover.

To attach the front cover, the
"teeth" are woven in and out of the covers.

Here is the final journal.

I like the new technique and plan to use it again.  I will need to get a better Xacto knife, however.  Check out Making Handmade Books by Alisa Golden for 100+ bindings.

- christina

No comments:

Post a Comment