Monday, August 20, 2012

The Most Expensive Pencil Case

For those of us who spend quite a bit of money on art supplies, it makes sense to have nice storage containers in which to keep them.  Plus it's fun to shop for pretty boxes, bags, jars and buckets.  I recently decided I wanted to learn to sew my own zippered bags to hold art supplies and I wanted to use some fabric that I had collected.

The fabric I chose was designed by a friend, Jennifer Heynen, who is the owner of Jangles Beads.  She isn't exactly a close friend of mine, but she is very good friends with my BFF.  She is, therefore, my friend by association.  I'm not sure that she knows that.  Be sure to check out her blog and online store.

My new pencil case

It was a lot of work to sew this little bag, since I don't have experience with sewing zippers.  My sister helped me and her friend, a master seamstress, also helped.  It took about 5 hours over 2 days to complete.  Adding up my time and the fabulous, although expensive, polka dot zipper ($4 from Joann's Fabrics) this is probably the most expensive pencil case ever made.  And I love it!

-christina

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous job!! And it is worth every penny and all of your time. Did you only make one???

    ReplyDelete