Friday, April 5, 2013

File Folder Journal (Guest Post from my BFF)

My BFF (whose creativity I greatly admire) has generously contributed a guest post describing how she makes these adorable journals from a decorative letter sized file folder.

- christina

I was going to an art conference and needed a something to take notes in.  A store bought journal would have sufficed, but NOOOOO, I had the knowledge and time (okay maybe not the time) but I could make my own!  And then I spied my assortment of funky, beautiful file folders that I had collected stuffed amongst my collection of maps, tissue paper and colorful plastic bags.  You know the shelf I am talking about – everyone has one!   


To begin, I cut some 90 lb. paper to create 4 signatures.  I wanted my completed journal to be something that could easily fit into a purse or bag.  I used 11x14 inch sheets of Bristol, torn in half so that each piece of paper was 11 x 7 inches.  These were folded in half lengthwise. Four pages were stacked together to make a single signature, 5.5 inches wide and 7 inches tall. 

The file folder became the cover of my journal.  I used the size of the signature to determine where to fold and glue the file folder.  Using the main fold of the letter sized file folder as one side of the spine, I measured 1/2 inch away and folded along this line to create the other side of the spine.  I measured 1 inch from the top and folded the top edge down to the inside of the folder.  Using the signature to determine the required height of the cover, I folded the remaining bottom edge up to the inside of the folder.



Finally I cut out some wedges where the folder was double thickness along a fold, such as the top and bottom of the spine.  This reduced the bulk and gave the file folder a little more "give."  When gluing the bottom fold up, I only glued along the spine and the edge in order to leave a pocket on the front and back cover.  Once all the edges were glued in place, I pamphlet stitched the signatures into the spine and added a Velcro tab for the closure.


I also thought that this would be as much fun (if not more) to decorate a file folder myself.  So I took a plain manila file folder (letter size, these were all letter size) and collaged some papers and tissue on, then stenciled a bit and finished with a wash of color.  I am definitely going to do some more of these! These are addictive. I made a batch of 8 so that I could share with friends!
- BFF



No comments:

Post a Comment