Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Sharing the Wealth

The mother/daughter (and in this case, granddaughter) art group.
That's me on the right.

I have some friends who have a mother/daughter art group.  It’s a wonderful thing and makes me wish that I could make art with my mother.  They recently invited me to share a project that I had learned at CREATE last year.  I accepted the invitation immediately, because it allowed me to spend time with people whose company I enjoy and they fed me dinner!  

The project involved adding Citrisolv to National Geographic pages.  This process makes the ink bleed, smoosh, and bubble in unexpected and interesting ways. 
Putting Citrasolv on the magazines is messy and smells
funny but it is a natural, citrus based, cleaning product.


You start by painting the magazine pages with Citrasolv.  Close the magazine to let it process for a few minutes and then rip out the pages that you like.  You can remove additional ink in areas by using Citrasolv on a paper towel. 

The paper towel will work through a stencil too.


In the end you have a piece of paper that may be used as a background or it may contain a shape that leads you to create a focal point.  Anything can happen.  Thanks to Cathy Taylor for sharing this idea with fellow artists.

(I believe this a collection of artwork that Cathy Taylor made using this technique)

By the way, this process only works on National
Geographic magazines because there is clay in the paper.

- christina

1 comment: