Saturday, November 15, 2014

Drawing Class Part 2 - Charcoal

Although I look forward to my drawing class each week, it’s also something I have a hard time actually getting to on time.  During this second session, I missed the first class (minor emotional crisis related to work), was an hour and a half late to the second class (had to work late due to parent-teacher conferences), and was 15 minutes late to the third class (unanticipated phone call from long lost friend).  The teacher has been very patient with me and I have high hope for the upcoming fourth class.
 
My first drawing was rushed. I finished in about
an hour and had to leave out a few lemons.

In spite of my unreliable attendance record, I have learned a lot about drawing with charcoal so far.  The most surprising thing is that I like it!  Since I am not a person who enjoys getting my fingers dirty, I thought I would dislike charcoal, but the results of my efforts have been so exciting that I don’t mind the mess at all.

For the second class we had to choose from 3 photos.
I'm pretty sure this is Gregory Peck.

I think I made Gregory look a little younger
than he actually was in the photo.
He would probably appreciate that.

Next week we are going to draw a still life by removing the charcoal.  My eraser may not survive the experience.  My son said to me yesterday, “You may have found your medium.”  He may be right!


- christina

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you missed so much class time…and yet your drawing is that of a true artist. Portraits are so hard to do and you nailed it on your first try…way to go!

    ReplyDelete