Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Road Trip

Last weekend, a friend and I drove 6 hours to St Paul to attend the American Craft Council Show.  It was an easy drive, especially with a buddy who supplied me with my favorite jelly beans (Russell Stover pectin jelly beans – best in the world!).


This show should not be mistaken for a “craft show.”  The artists were craftsman not crafters and the work was really lovely.  I couldn’t afford to buy anything (such as the $390 ring I fell in love with or the $325 vest which could be worn 6 different ways) but that was not my goal.  My reason for attending this event was to get inspiration to create.  I saw so many beautiful things that I could not stop smiling and saying, “oh wow, look at that.” (I often said this to strangers, mistakenly thinking that my friend was standing next to me.)

The ACC promotes a charm collection that many
jewelry vendors participate in.
What a great idea! 
I couldn't resist taking a photo of this
amazing chair ($400)

I channeled my extroverted side and spoke with many of the vendors.  A few were from Chicago and gave me suggestions of shows that I could attend closer to home.  Everyone was pleasant and so enthusiastic to talk to me about his or her art.  I made sure to tell each artist how much I liked their work and thanked them when I left the booth.  Although I couldn’t afford to buy any of the beautiful pieces, I wanted the artists to know that I appreciated their skill, their creativity, and their final product.

ACC members were available to teach knitting.

A demonstration of throwing pots.

4 rooms created for the show: WATER

AIR

EARTH

FIRE

A demonstration of boat building.
Time to create!

- christina

No comments:

Post a Comment