Saturday, February 28, 2015

Create Peace

My artist friend, whom I often teach classes with, has started a new art project called #CreatePeaceBirds.  She designed and created more than 30 birds using hand dyed fabric and pages from her journals. 



She is giving the birds to friends and asking them to leave the piece in a public place.  The bird has a tag that asks the finder to post on social media using #CreatePeaceBirds.  So far she has only had a few posts, but I think the reason is that her friends are hesitant to let go of their birds!




I plan to release by bird (number 28) at a restaurant.  After dinner, I want to leave the bird in my chair to be found by a waiter or by the next restaurant patron.  I hope my bird finds many homes.

This type of art project, which I think of as a kind of guerrilla art, is so interesting to me.  It is similar to the 1,000 Journals Project by Someguy.  I love the concept of releasing art into the world and being able to track it as it grows and passes through people’s hands.  What would other people contribute?  How could I still stay attached to the art through the use of the internet and social media?  I am mulling over this idea, thinking about what message I want to send out into the world.  What do you think?  What type of piece could I create?  How could I allow others to contribute thoughts or build upon the piece that I started?  Let me know what you think.

- christina

1 comment:

  1. I wonder who found your bird? Where did it go to next? What about some type of art piece that a person could write his/her "word for the year" and then a couple of lines next to the word that he/she has done to achieve that word.

    ReplyDelete