Monday, September 3, 2012

Chapter 6: Abundance

This morning I am reading Chapter 6 of The Artist's Way entitled "Recovering a Sense of Abundance."  I am actually getting goosebumps as I read it, because the message is so timely.  I have been in the doldrums lately and these thoughts remind me that I need to treat myself better.

I am going to post quotes from the chapter that resonate with me.

"What we really want to do it what we are really meant to do.  When we do what we are meant to do, money comes to us, doors open to us, we feel useful, and the work we do feels like play to us." (p.108)

"Making art begins with . . .getting into the now and enjoying your day.  It begins with giving yourself some small treats and breaks." (p.108)
  
"In order to thrive as artist's - and, one could argue, as people - we need to be available to the universal flow.  When we put a stopper on our capacity for joy by anoretically declining the small gifts, we turn aside the larger gifts as well." (p. 110)

Julia Cameron goes on to write that creativity requires the luxury of time (even if it's only 15 minutes) and space (even if it's only 1 bookshelf). "Creativity lives in paradox: serious art is born from serious play." (p.112)  She encourages treating yourself to all kinds of little luxuries that make you feel good, whether it is fresh raspberries, cut flowers or tickets to a play.

Finally she asks the very pointed question: what gives you true joy?  I have to pause and concentrate to come up with an answer.  Perhaps I don’t want to be too extravagant.  My list includes chocolate, time with my children, and a walk through a sunny tree lined park.  Boy, am I lucky – I can experience all of those things today if I plan well.

So I am off to fill myself with some joy and snap out of my little funk.  Think about the things that bring you joy and try to experience one today.
-christina

1 comment:

  1. this is my first comment. i liked what you wrote very much. Hope you had a nice day. Your Sister

    ReplyDelete