Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Christmas Tree


I love real Christmas trees but they can be expensive, plus I don’t own a Christmas tree stand.  In an effort to keep the “one use only” items in my apartment to a minimum (and save a little money) I decided to build my own Christmas tree this year.  

I drew some pictures of what I wanted and got out my trusty tape measure in order to determine the size.  I put blue painters’ tape on the wall so that I could get an accurate idea of the dimensions of the final product.  Finally I headed off to Home Depot with my son in tow to purchase the wood (not because I thought the wood was going to be heavy, but because sometimes I like to drag him along on shopping trips as a kind of slow torture).  Home Depot cut all the wood for me and, in a happy measuring coincidence, I ended up with only 4 inches of left over wood.




The assembly was fairly simple.  I used 2 screws to attach the cross pieces to the “trunk” of the tree.  I hammered small nails randomly into the cross pieces so that I could hang ornaments.  And the assembly was complete!





















I love the way my decorated tree turned out.  In the dead of winter, anything that lights up makes me happy!  And my homemade Christmas tree can be used anywhere in the apartment for other holidays, as well as hanging family photos or artwork.  Birthday tree, anyone?

Have fun decorating, everyone.

- christina

1 comment:

  1. I love it! What a great idea. And I can't wait to see a post about the birthday tree!!

    ReplyDelete