Thursday, January 23, 2014

Abstract


One day I was walking through the lobby of my apt building and happened upon an abandoned painting.  It was a print of giant poppies, the kind that can be bought at a bed and bath store.  I decided that it would be the perfect canvas for an experiment in abstract art, so I took it home.

First I collaged the canvas with fabric, paper, and book pages.  I used cardboard and crumpled tissue paper for texture.



I painted it with buff and then white acrylic paint using a credit card as a brush in order to leave some of the background uncovered.  Finally I added the orange and black to complete the painting.  I used a charcoal pencil to shadow some of the textured areas but I’m not sure it’s even noticeable to anyone but me.


I am happy with the way this piece turned out because it looks the way I imagined it.   Believe me, that doesn't happen all that often.  In addition, my daughter wants this painting.  She has never before asked me to give her a piece of my art.  She says she is going to hang it over her desk and I am extremely happy that she likes it.

- christina

No comments:

Post a Comment