Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Arm Knitting


You know how weird coincidences happen in life sometimes?  I was talking to a friend the other day and she asked me if I had ever done arm knitting.  Well, I haven’t thought about arm knitting in a long time.  It’s something I had heard of, but never tried (I am not one of those women who have a stash of yarn lying around the house).  I told my friend that I had never tried it, but would like to learn how to do it someday.

Three days later I am at a friend’s house for dinner and a young lady is wearing a scarf that she made herself by … (you guessed it ) … arm knitting!  It was adorable.  She said she could teach me how to do it and I could make a scarf in less than an hour.  Luckily, my gracious hostess IS one of those women who have a stash of yarn and she gave me 2 skeins of beautiful blue llama/wool yarn.  I was so excited!




My young friend taught me how to arm knit and she completed a scarf for our hostess.  I completed my scarf in about 45 minutes.  I think I could have done it in a shorter amount of time, but I was drinking wine at the same time.   




The process was very simple and I would like to do it again.  I’d have to find a YouTube video (such as this one) to guide me in the casting on and off, but the rest I could do from memory.  I recommend you try it because it's an instant gratification project.



The bad news is that you will have to go into a yarn store to buy yarn and we both know how dangerous that will be!  Good luck.
- christina
My finished scarf. :)







1 comment: